Monday, February 4, 2008

Three things to be thankful for each day!

Everyone has something to be thankful for at least once a day. Maybe on some days, it is hard to find three things, but an article I read a few years ago really helped me to follow this practice: When I wake each morning, I try to think of three new things to be thankful for..maybe it is that my body doesn't hurt, or my child is in a good mood, or that I get my daughter to school on time, etc. This is something that makes me stay positive and it helps my day to go faster! I started a few years ago telling my daughter that this practice is a simple way to appreciate what is given to you free of charge..a gift from God. I told her that if she did this each day, she would be able to face any crisis with a clear head, and that it could make her realize all that she has been afforded. So, now when we are in the car each morning, I ask her to tell me what she is thankful for and I think that she has learned that life is a little less stressful when you find things that are positive instead of dwelling on negative things. She has come up with some really funny things..sometimes it is that she is thankful for Hannah Montana, or for her new stuffed animal, or even that the dog did not eat her bird when he got out of his cage, or that it is flooding rain and she won't have to run at Cross Country practice, or that she managed to pass a test that she did not study for, etc. By doing this at least once a day, a negative attitude slips away in a hurry. It also is a way for us to communicate.

So, today I would like to share three things that I am thankful for..1. that we have rain again today..although rain can be dreary, it is helping to get rid of the drought..2. that I have money to buy a Starbucks coffee to wake me up..it is rare to have extra cash when you have a Diva for a daughter, and 3. my entire family is healthy and happy.

Please try this with your children or your spouse, or yourself..not only does it give you something to look forward to each day, but it changes your perspective on many things that can make your life seem boring and meaningless..If you can't think of anything, then try looking at a newspaper, or take a ride to a children's cancer ward..we are all so blessed just to be alive and healthy!!!! So many people are suffering today with all kinds of things...maybe this will make a problem of yours seem much smaller!! Have a great day!!!!!!!!

No comments: