Saturday, February 2, 2008

Groundhog Day!! Spring is Coming!!!

"The tradition is that if a hibernating animal sees a shadow on Feb. 2 -- the Christian holiday of Candlemas -- winter will last another six weeks. If no shadow is seen, legend says spring will come early. That was the forecast from Gen. Beauregard Lee, Punxsutawney Phil's counterpart in Lilburn, Ga. Beau did not see his shadow Saturday morning at the Yellow River Game Ranch. It was the third year in a row the two groundhogs' predictions differed. "(MSN quote)


I hope that this prediction is right!! Spring is one of my favorite times of the year! I love planting flowers outside and it is always fun for T to watch as things grow so pretty! I have no idea of what we will do with this yard yet. The front yard is already landscaped, although, I would love to put more color there. The backyard is totally open to my imagination..I would like to do azelas around the yard's edge, and possibly come up with an idea for a stream that runs thru the side of our property. I talked to the guy that does our clean up, etc., and he suggested a pergula(can't spell it), or maybe an arbor with colorful roses around the outside of it. I have been looking at Lowe's for ideas and also a few books. I had to leave my roses that I planted a few years ago at my old house. I was heartbroken. The roses were so pretty, and each year I had added new ones until it was just too massive to move. D(my husband) is very good with colors and plants, and design. He made me several flowerbeds at the old house, complete with fountains, etc. I guess he got that color thing from being in the priniting industry for so long! Now we have to start over! I know he will come up with something neat, so I will just find the pictures of what I want and hopefully, he will be able to tell me if it will work. I love the magazines that have the beds done by number..the only thing you have to do is buy the flowers and arrange them by the numbers..ha! If only it were that easy! I have actually found that I have more talent in gardening than I ever imagined. I never thought I would! (maybe it is that number thingy) !!
T likes to plant vegetables. Last year at school, all of the kids were asked to plant a cabbage. She did hers in a large pot and it was huge! Unfortuately, we had a visitor, Mr. Bunny, that came overnight and ate it all up, except for a little piece. She got her bunny though. Her dad managed to catch him and put him in a clothes basket in the kitchen. I tried to tell him that the bunny could still hop, although he was very small. D did not think so (men never listen!), so the next am when he got up at 5:30am to get his coffee, the bunny was gone! !! Who didn't know that??? Well, the first thing he did was wake me and asked me if I had done something(like let him go). I immediately got up and started looking. I was afraid that T would be upset if she came out and it was gone.(T is somewhat of a drama queen! She has lost fish, turtles, etc. and we have had to have all out funerals for alot of her creatures! I mean, with sermons, singing, etc. She is so much of a drama queen, that one neighbor actually thought we were burying a human! He came over and asked if something had happened because she was carrying on like we were going into the ground!!) I also had a horrible thought that the bunny might have met my dog bear in the middle of the night..He certainly looked suspious when I looked out and saw him leaving food in his dish!!Oh well, after about three hours of searching, I noticed one of my palm trees in the living room was moving, the bunny was there! It was very cute when we went to get him, he looked at us as if to say "hey, look at me, I am free and eating all your plants!" In the meantime, t had gotten up and was helping in the search. She had already blamed the dog Bear for doing something to the bunny..she actually had taken his food from him and put him on a chain !! I would hate for her to be a judge oneday.. Well, the bunny managed to run under my dining room buffet, so we all had to move the furniture around, etc.,I had her convinced that he needed to go free and live with his family, and then her tender-hearted dad chimed in and suggested another idea of his(lord, help us all), he went and picked it up and drove to Kroger and got the bunny some food, shavings, etc. and put it in an old aquarium we had...that lasted for about two days and I finally had to convience him let it go so it could be free. The little bunny stayed around the patio for a very long time and we feed it and all the other ones that came after it.. I guess the moral of the story is..never let T find a wild animal or any other animal...it will be her's for life. She has a way with animals..living or stuffed and she can never part with one in need. That is why I think I will limit her vegetable garden to a herb garden in the kitchen window this year, and as for her tender-hearted dad, well, I can never win with that one!! His idea of consoling T is to buy her a new bird or fish or whatever may be her desire may be..maybe it is a father/daughter thing and it is pointless to argue! I always lose and then end up caring for all her creatures!!! Go figure? I'll have to attach T's powerpoint slide show when I get my desktop up again! It is hilarous! Have a great weekend! Happy Groundhog Day!!

1 comment:

GaNNy said...

Dear Dana,

How & Very nice 2 hear that U like Greens & Colors so much & actually care for the Nature.

But unfortunately not many people think of even planting a Sapling in their Home Gardens / Compounds. But I still believe that there are people who still care for the Nature.

With the Global Warming warnings & the rising Temperatures, I feel that these little Plantations in every Home in the Neighborhood will keep the Temperature levels down. I know I am asking for down levels in like huge Quantities, but it can still be of Help.

I would really like to see bigger Trees planted in your Back yard. Trees like the Gulmohur, Tamrind or even the Nilgiri. These trees actually suck the Pollution levels more in comparison to others.

Hey then one day T Bird can have her Tree House.

I care a lot for the envoirnment, wrote a lot of Articles here in paper, was able to create an impact to some extent. But as usual, even Mumbai is no difference when it comes to Modernization / Globalization.

Nature in the City gets affected to a certain extent. Atleast there are still dense Forests surrounding Mumbai City & Thane City. There are still a huge number of Trees in the City. And more are being planted. I am hoping to see the World as a Green true Green Planet. And I know that will Happen because there are still people like U & me who think so much about Envoirnment.

I am glad & excited after reading about the Cabbage which T Planted. I request you take a Snap & mail it to me. I am sure my Folks here will be very very Happy to see the same.

I M very Happy for all of you, for taking up the initiative of Green Beautification....

Keep up the Great Work...

GaNNy